I caught my first glimpse of Switzerland through a train window when I was interrailing in my early 20s. I was blown away by its beauty then and still am today.
Yes; this is a famously expensive country to visit but it is so worth it.
I’ve been lucky enough to travel on both the Bernina Express and the Glacier Express, two of the world’s greatest train journeys (top tip: consider an Interrail pass to keep costs manageable). And I love the different flavours of Switzerland’s cantons, from the Italian vibe of the Ticino region to the elegance of Francophone Geneva.
SWITZERLAND IN A NUTSHELL
- Capital: Bern
- Currency: Swiss franc (CHF)
- Population: 8 million
- Official language: German (or Swiss German), French and Italian
- Time zone: UTC+1
SOLO TRAVEL RATING
- Solo travel rating: 3 out of 5
- Risk to women travellers: Low
- Travel costs: Expensive
- Recommended for first-time solo travellers: Yes