I loved Sri Lanka, a perfect mix of relaxation and culture.
Beyond the palm-fringed resorts is Polonnaruwa, the country’s capital between the 11th and 13th centuries, with its serene reclining Buddha. For my money, the train journey descending through the heart of the tea-growing country from Pattipola to the colonial hill town of Bandarawela is one of the best in the world.
SRI LANKA IN A NUTSHELL
- Capital: Colombo (commercial capital); Sri Jayewardenepura Kotte (legislative capital)
- Currency: Sri Lankan rupee (LKR)
- Population: 23 million
- Official languages: Sinhala and Tamil
- Time zone: UTC+5.5
SOLO TRAVEL RATING
- Solo travel rating: 3 out of 5
- Risk to women travellers: Low
- Travel costs: Affordable
- Recommended for first-time solo travellers: No