Spain is one of those destinations I return to time and time again, whether it’s for a weekend city break in Barcelona or Seville or a three-week train odyssey. Some of my favourite places are underrated Málaga, the historic city of Granada (home to the Alhambra Palace) and gorgeous Cordoba and its sensational Mosque-Cathedral.
With a country as large as this, there are still plenty of places I would like to visit, the Camino de Santiago being top of my travel bucket list
SPAIN IN A NUTSHELL
- Capital: Madrid
- Currency: Euro (EUR)
- Population: 47 million
- Official languages: Spanish (nationwide). Also a number of regional official languages.
- Time zone: UTC+1 (mainland); UTC (Canary Islands)
SOLO TRAVEL RATING
- Solo travel rating: 4 out of 5
- Risk to women travellers: Low
- Travel costs: Moderate
- Recommended for first-time solo travellers: Yes