Have you ever visited somewhere and asked yourself why you hadn’t gone there sooner? Scotland is one of those places for me.
From the elegance of Edinburgh to the impossible beauty of the Western Isles, there’s something for every traveller. Personal favourites include the gorgeous town of Oban, the gateway to the romance of the Hebridean islands, and the dramatic landscapes of the Scottish Highlands.
SCOTLAND IN A NUTSHELL
- Capital: Edinburgh
- Currency: British pound (GBP)
- Population: 5 million
- Main language: English. Gaelic and Scots also spoken.
- Time zone: UTC
SOLO TRAVEL RATING
- Solo travel rating: 4 out of 5
- Risk to women travellers: Low
- Travel costs: Moderate
- Recommended for first-time solo travellers: Yes