Portugal is a winning destination on many levels. It’s still affordable by European standards, has a rich history, vibrant cities and beautiful beaches, and is inhabited by warm and friendly people.
Although I like its cities such as Lisbon and Porto, my favourite Portuguese destination is the island of Madeira. For me, this is as close to a perfect solo travel destination as you can get.
PORTUGAL IN A NUTSHELL
- Capital: Lisbon
- Currency: Euro (EUR)
- Population: 10 million
- Official languages: Portuguese. Also Mirandese (used locally).
- Time zone: UTC (UTC-1 in the Azores)
SOLO TRAVEL RATING
- Solo travel rating: 5 out of 5
- Risk to women travellers: Low
- Travel costs: Affordable
- Recommended for first-time solo travellers: Yes