If you want a relaxing vacation with a dose of culture, Mauritius could be the place for you. This idyllic Indian Ocean island has idyllic beaches, a handful of things to see and some of the friendliest people on the planet.
Its food is to die for and the hotels in which I stayed were of a very high standard.
MAURITIUS IN A NUTSHELL
- Capital: Port Louis
- Currency: Mauritian rupee (MUR)
- Population: 1.3 million
- Languages: Creole is spoken by over 85% of the population. French is spoken by a majority of Mauritians. English is used in Government and education.
- Time zone: UTC+4
SOLO TRAVEL RATING
- Solo travel rating: 3 out of 5
- Risk to women travellers: Low
- Travel costs: Moderate
- Recommended for first-time solo travellers: No