People often ask me about my favourite countries in the world. My answer is always the same; outside Europe it’s Japan.
For me, the seamless blend of high-tech modernity with deeply rooted tradition is compelling. The pings of Pachinko machines are as much part of the fabric of the country as prayer chants echoing across manicured Zen gardens.
JAPAN IN A NUTSHELL
- Capital: Tokyo
- Currency: Japanese yen (JPY)
- Population: 124 million
- Official language: Japanese
- Time zone: UTC+9
SOLO TRAVEL RATING
- Solo travel rating: 4 out of 5
- Risk to women travellers: Very low
- Travel costs: Expensive
- Recommended for first-time solo travellers: Yes