ISRAEL AND THE OCCUPIED TERRITORIES
Israel and the Occupied Territories were my first solo travel adventure in 1989. I volunteered at two kibbutzim, travelling extensively through Israel and Egypt. I have returned on a number of occasions since then.
In some respects, it’s not the easiest country to visit, in no small part due to security concerns and the geopolitical situation. However, it holds a special place in my heart and Jerusalem remains my favourite city in the world.
ISRAEL IN A NUTSHELL
- Capital: Jerusalem
- Currency: New Israeli shekel (ILS)
- Population: 9 million
- Official language: Hebrew, Arabic (special status under Israeli law)
- Time zone: UTC+2
SOLO TRAVEL RATING
- Solo travel rating: 3 out of 5
- Risk to women travellers: Low
- Travel costs: Moderate
- Recommended for first-time solo travellers: No