Known as the Land of Fire and Ice, Iceland is Europe’s geological gem. I based myself in Reykyavik, taking day trips to the Blue Lagoon and Golden Circle and was struck by the country’s other-worldly quality.
This is one of the best places in Europe to chase the elusive Northern Lights.
ICELAND IN A NUTSHELL
- Capital: Reykjavik
- Currency: Icelandic króna (ISK)
- Population: 360,000
- Official language: Icelandic
- Time zone: UTC
SOLO TRAVEL RATING
- Solo travel rating: 4 out of 5
- Risk to women travellers: Very low
- Travel costs: Expensive
- Recommended for first-time solo travellers: Yes